Wednesday, January 9, 2013

[10/28/12] - HF News

The edition you are currently reading is the 115th full edition. To read any older editions of HF News, please go here.


[Image: jba1spITkcOXLN.png]
Halloween Theme
Well, it is that time of year again; Halloween is approaching! For those who reside in a country that does not celebrate the day, it'll be celebrated on the 31st of October, mainly by festive activities such as  trick-or-treating, costume parties, pumpkin carving and other horror/thrill-related activities. In light of the coming day, Omniscient has uploaded the Halloween themed banner for our viewing pleasure in celebration. The tradition of Omniscient changing the banner of Hackforums to the corresponding holiday has become a staple for nearly everyone in the community and brings joy to many.

The Creed Suspended
The official custom usergroup known as "The Creed" was suspended this week due to the final payment for the group not being received by Omniscient, and his requests being consistently ignored. The official statement came from HF's official Twitter account, where Omniscient stated "Creed group is suspended. They've not made any payments to the balance and they have not responded to payment requests." This lack of communication from The Creed in their final payment surely correlates with the account closing of The Creed leader known as Primal Rage, who was rumored to be in-charge of the financial stability of the group. The future of the group is currently hazy. The group may be paid off, it may simply be closed, or it may be auctioned off (similar to Coders). Only time will tell.

2000+ Replies Thread Closed
A new policy from Omniscient has led to some of the most popular threads on Hackforums being closed this week. It was stated on the official Hackforums Twitter "I've just closed all threads with over 2000 replies. This is to avoid problems with large threads and mysql." Many of the Marketplace's most popular threads are now closed due to the new policy.

HackerCraft Now Open
Omniscient, along side Mr. H, has no shot the HackForums Minecraft server dubbed HackerCraft into its full version this week. Although many have complained that the server is lacking in various ways, Omniscient and Mr. H seem to have a strong vision of what the server will become. The official statement on the matter can be found here.

[Image: jHAVGLpCK2X3O.png]
User News
Yellows reached 1,000 reputation points!

Repfucks
Bans
Awards
  • Designer's GFX Guru award was revoked.
  • Yellows finally received the 24k award.
  • TheHackersLove received the Gravel of Dredd award.
  • Twinkles received the Asswipe award to wipe away her tears of joy.

Group Leadership Changes
  • Yellows is no longer a leader of Rhythm.
  • Saturday is no longer a leader of Rhythm.
  • McFlurry is no longer a leader of InFaMoUs.
  • -Analog- is now a leader of Logic.

[Image: jC7Qf9JqwY96f.png]
ven0m - Ex-staff, Ex-admin & Mentor list
BaussHacker - C# Programming Tutorials!!! (Console- & Windows Form Applications)
tdog0403 - The groups of now, and then
Anarchy - New banner
Yellows - HF OMGPOP Pool Tournament 6 - REGISTRATION OPEN.


[Image: juGD7pFSr607C.png]
Interview - Genuine

+Entity: One of our staff members, Genuine has been chosen as tribute for the 115th edition of the HF News! Any shoutouts you want to make to friends before we go on?
Genuine: Thank you for including me. I'd like to give a shout-out to Bay, Conception, Existence, LockMythMonster, Jesus, and iNviZ. Then comes the Staff team, Red Lions, and Infamous.

+Entity: How did you rise through the ranks of the Red Lions? I know you're a long time member of the group, but most people don't know the details behind it.
Genuine: I was a member for a few months after Hysteria resigned as leader and promoted both Morchid and Glassy. Morchid and I used to play Xbox and talk over Skype a lot, so I started giving him ideas of how the group could be more active within it's sub-forum. Shortly after, Morchid was Rep fucked and banned from HF, so he was demoted as the leader of Red Lions which only left Glassy in-charge because Nokia2mon2 isn't as active. I PMed Glassy with the ideas that I gave Morchid and he took them into consideration. A few days later, we exchanged our Skype contacts and would discuss the ideas we had over calls. I'm not sure the exact date on when I was promoted to co-leader, but I was extremely excited about it.
Contributing & dedication is what it takes if you're planning on being promoted to a higher rank. You just have to work hard for your position because nothing comes free.

+Entity: Life lessons for the rest of us. Did these morals help you get promoted to staff, or how did that come about?
Genuine: Yes and no. I did have dedication on helping members, but never thought I'd even gain Mentor position at that time. I wasn't as active nor did I even post in other sections that often. After I was given Mentor, I started working hard for a staff position and about two weeks later, Omniscient sent me the PM inviting me. Of course I accepted it, and later started getting used to everything.
So dedication is what helped me the most as far as Staff goes. I also read the Help Documents and tried to memorize them the best I can. So when the time did come, I was fully prepared for the position.

+Entity: Glad that all of the studying and preparation came in handy. How did you find yourself on HF? What attracted you here?
Genuine: I found HF by Google searching host booters and how they worked. Being an active Xbox player on Halo 3, you come across plenty of cheaters in certain playlist. I decided to send a voice-mail to a suspected cheater, and he told me which shell booter he was currently using. With that information, I searched the name of it which led me to HF. A few days later, I signed up and decided to purchase Atomic Booter for myself. It worked out well and have been a customer of Mark (Webber) for quite a long time. (Over a year now)
What keeps me active on HF now is being a staff member and having groups to look forward to. Without any of these, I wouldn't be logging on everyday.

+Entity: We all have the things that keep us coming back. Have you applied anything that has happened on HF to real life?
Genuine: Actually I have. When I first joined the site, my grammar wasn't as nearly good as it is now. HF has also has inspired me to become more of a white hat. I remember PMing T3h Hack3r about HJT training when he was a staff member here. He encouraged me to become a trainee at another forum, which I enjoy doing on my free time. Malware removal is something I hope to do has a hobby in the future. Other then that, I can't really think of anything else that plays a major roll in my life.

+Entity: So many people I've interviewed in the past have cited the HJT Team as a future goal of theirs. Glad to see we all have our sights set high. What happened with you and Valor? You were a leader for a time, but you left the group.
Genuine: HJT is among the greatest contribution towards the site IMHO. I'm happy to see Omniscient charging members for undergoing training here. It's well worth it.
I enjoyed being leader of Valor, but since it was once related to Blackshades I couldn't handle the stress anymore. I would receive constant PMs for an explanation on why they were removed from the group. When I told them it was for inactivity, some will threaten to open up a scam report because they've paid Xviseral. Existence and I tried our best to make the group exclusive but it was extremely hard since the members didn't think it was fair.
BV1 asked if I wanted to lead with him shortly after Existence was demoted, but I decided to resign to protect my reputation as a staff member.

+Entity: And today it's just BV1. Any closing remarks to the population?
Genuine: Yep, and he's doing a nice job as far as I know.
As for my closing statement, your friends aren't always set out to be the good people.

Interview - Himura Kenshin (Xypher)

Phytrix: Welcome to the 115th edition of the HF News, Himura Kenshin (better known as Xypher). Any shoutouts before we start?
Himura Kenshin: Just to everyone but TA, cus y'know, they all suck. :3

Phytrix: Haha. You've been on HF for almost three years! What originally brought you to the site and what were your intentions?
Himura Kenshin: In '08 I used to co-own a very popular Maplestory private server. One day we got hacked and I wanted to learn to be one of those, 'l33t h4x0rs' that DDoSed us, found HF, leeched for the longest time, then in '09 was forced to make a new account, leeched for a month or so, then decided to start helping the newer guys with what I had learned.. I never got my revenge. :c

Phytrix: Ah, well, as some say, "Success is the best revenge". From what I've heard, you have a very interesting past in relation to HF usergroups. Care to share your experiences with groups, past and current?
Himura Kenshin: Oh god, where to begin. The first group I ever joined was an unofficial group called, "Inject." It was created and owned by the once famous member, Carbon. We never really did much, but that is what sort of brought me to be really active on the forum. A few weeks after being really active, I decided to apply for every official group I could, the only group I got into was The Black Knights. At the time there was sort of an unofficial war between who was better, The Black Knights or The Alliance. Of course being a Knight myself, I sided with BK and was anti-TA. A few months passed and the group was virtually dead, and then myself, Stoner, and Maximo were promoted to actual leaders of the group. We brought the group to be rather active, we revamped it, raised its reputation, made it a good group again. Then I applied and was accepted into The Alliance. After nearly a year in the group, developing close relationships, etc., the group started to die. Paradoxum had disappeared due to school, Saged didn't have time due to school as well, and Skill was busy with his job and his staff position on HF and SF. After many posts and threads about how we could get TA active and going, I got a PM from Saged one day, all it said was, "You're leader, don't fuck it up." It still remains to be the best day I've ever had on this forum. After about 4 or 5 months of leading TA I resigned from leading both BK and TA due to personal issues. Other than that I was also close to being a leader of Reverence/Respawn, the RATs crew, and The Red Lions, but those were all due to friendship with the owners, so nothing special to talk about there.

Phytrix: Oh wow, that's definitely interesting. How exactly did you revamp The Black Knights, and how did you change TA with your leadership position?
Himura Kenshin: With TBK I tried different systems, different subject targets, etc. I tried to divide the group into teams or factions, I tried to make it a project oriented group, but we never got the members' dedication that we needed for it to work. As for TA, I didn't change anything. In my opinion TA has had it right the whole time and doesn't need changing. If you look at every group that exists today, they have all cloned and copied TA's way of recruiting, TA's way of acting as a group, and TA's expectations of quality. They copy TA because they know TA is amazing.

Phytrix: I've definitely seen some quality members from TA, although I haven't experienced it myself, so I'll leave it at that. How do you feel HF has changed since you joined the site, and do you think it's better or worse (in what aspects)?
Himura Kenshin: When I first joined HF, it was still a hacking forum. The most popular sections were still the hacking and coding sections. Yes the lounge still had the most posts compared to other sections, but it wasn't the focus of the forum. If you deleted the lounge back then you would literally lose maybe a dozen or so members. Today you would lose hundreds and hundreds. Now HackForums.net is simply a way to advertise. This is truly a generalized forum with sections about all sorts of subjects across the board. I understand that this is a business for Omni, but I disagree with it. I also feel that Omni has distanced himself from the community in an attempt to keep up his professional persona. Though something I think he has forgotten is friendly, social interaction is a huge part of a great business. Though on the flip side of that, he did create HackerCraft and I've heard he does go on it from time to time, so I think he is starting to get his touch back. HF has multiplied in size 20 fold since I first joined, that's a lot of expansion for Omni to have to deal with, so I can sort of understand why he got like that.

Phytrix: Yeah, I'm an active user of the official HF Minecraft server Hackercraft, and last week particularly, he was on it a lot. You tend to use The Lounge a lot yourself, having close to 5K posts in the section. Why do you use it so frequently, and what do you think of it?
Himura Kenshin: I use it frequently because I no longer feel that this is a community I want to share my knowledge with. My last attempt at a grand guide, one I spent a few weeks working on, was my beginners guide to cryptography. A guide to REAL cryptography, it got like two posts other than the people who helped me move it around and such. The people on this forum claim to want to learn things, but really they just want free, private things that they can claim as their own, especially when it comes to the programming section. The places I'm most knowledgeable in are; Programming, cryptography, and graphic design. The programming section is filled with leechers who I don't feel deserve 90% of what is released to them, why should I share, oh say my private encryption methods that have yet to be cracked? Because it would be "contributing?" Been there, done that, I'll give to those who will be thankful instead, and I will give it to them via PM, Skype, or some other means where leechers will not be able to take it openly. As for cryptography, well.. HF isn't interested in real cryptography, they're too lazy for that. And as for graphic design, I am knowledgeable in the critique side, but I cannot do as much as I can critique, so I do not feel I should be active there yet.

Phytrix: Alright. What are your future goals on HF then?
Himura Kenshin: Honestly, the only sections I really find myself attached to now are The Alliance, Anime Adventures, and sometime in the -hopefully near- future, the graphics sections, so my goals are pretty limited. My only three goals at this point are to work towards getting an official group for Anime Lovers, become a leader of TA again, and to gain the silver medal award. Not sure what it is about it, but it's always sort of seemed like a mark of quality for me. Most of the people I have ever idolized on this forum have it and they've all been the most quality members in my eyes, I wish to some day join them.

Phytrix: You have a lot of name changes, although you are commonly known as Xypher. What do some of your previous names mean (including Xypher) and do they hold any significant value? Also, what does your current username mean?
Himura Kenshin: Really my current name is the one that holds real value to it, well.. personal value. Xypher was just me trying to find a cool sounding name. I always thought the word Zephyr was a relatively cool one and I just thought of a way to make it unique, though about my love for cryptography and ciphers, combined cipher and zephyr together and got Xypher. As for Bad Blood, that was my favorite song at the time, not sure why I felt the need to change it. As for Oldies and escafLow, just me trying to be someone else. I was tired of being Xypher, I was tired of the expectations that seemed to come with the name, so I just jumped around with random names for a time. Then when I returned I came back to being Xypher, then shortly after I changed my name to -Snowbunni. That's the name I go by on most games I play, then shortly after that I decided to change my name to Himura Kenshin. Himura Kenshin is the name (or persona) of the main character in my favorite Anime series, Rurouni Kenshin. It was the first series I ever watched, nearly 16 years ago and it remains to be my favorite. I find a scary similarity to Kenshin and I, we both have pasts with certain similarities that will haunt us for the rest of our lives. ^_^

Phytrix: Well, I'm sure people will appreciate this interview, just as I have. Thanks for the opportunity. Any final thoughts or comments before we leave?
Himura Kenshin: Crack is whack kids!

No comments: