Tuesday, July 17, 2012

[7/15/12] - HF News ~~100th Edition~~


[Image: jIYOEKIzEXsYR.png]

The edition you are currently reading is the 100th full edition. To read any older editions of HF News, please go here.

[Image: jjFZyQIyrxlJN.png]
Coders to Logic
Formerly known as Coders, Logic is scheduled to become official on 7/27. Logic focuses will be the following: Philosophical, Religious, Political, Metaphysical, Scientific, Intellectual, and Logical discussion. To view Logic's announcement thread please click the following link: http://goo.gl/d6qib

Omniscient's injury update
As many of you know our site owner, Omniscient broke his knuckle a few weeks back, which meant he would be a little behind on his duties. He has updated that he is able to type with both hands with only slight pain. To see more about this check out the HackForums twitter feed at: http://goo.gl/7MEyK


Update on Noxx
On July 4th the user The Master released that the group Noxx will become official. For all that we're waiting to see this group official it is still going to happen. The Master was scammed in the exchange of the money from PayPal to Liberty Reserve so he could pay Omniscient the secured down payment. Yet, it has recently been reported that Noxx will be happening, as the person leading the exchange does want to finish the deal. So, who knows what will lay in the future!

[Image: j6Pseuu6bKRfh.png]
User News
Positive got promoted to a Mentor. Congratulations!
Onetwo reached 10,000 posts in one year. Somebody needs a life.

Repfucks

Bans

[Image: jcDeTvYKFWbKw.png]
[Image: jodJiYFxQ3Ine.png]
Interview - iBruteforce


RDCA: Hello and welcome to the 100th edition of the HF News, iBruteforce. Are there any shout outs you would like to give before we start?
iBruteforce: Hello. Yes, shout out to Paradoxum. Y U NO COME ONLINE!?!

RDCA: Alright, I am sure he will appreciate it. I hope he stays online long enough to read the message! So, since you have branched off from HackForums, you have done many things. One of the more known events out of those would be the creation of GFXForums.net, how do you feel that project has turned out?
iBruteforce: The first 18 months were great, we were #1 in terms of activity and there were always a lot of members online. Now, it's not so great. I converted from MyBB to XenForo and things just went downhill. Members don't seem to enjoy it so much and I've lost the passion to administrate. Maybe things will get better but right now, it doesn't look like it.

RDCA: Striving is a part of the job. Every site goes through inactivites. Though, the switch between XenForo and MyBB was a pretty great one. Do you regret it at all? If you could change the fact that you did it, would you? Also, since we are on the subject of projects, do you have any other projects that you would like to endulge the HF community about?
iBruteforce: I regret it 100%. With MyBB I was very comfortable administrating, everything was easier and quicker and I could do things that I now can't. So yes, I would change back.
I do have a few other sites, most notably http://filehostr.net which I hope will be a great source of income. Next up is a website setup and design business, mostly targeted at other new businesses needing a website. If I advertise well and get enough clients, I'll be able to leave my current job and work full time from home, which is my ultimate goal. Something I'm very envious of Omniscient about.

RDCA: Well, it doesn't happen overnight, so keep your dreams close and I wish you the best of luck. So, you mainly left HF to persue your own life, so to speak, on the Internet. Were there any other contributing factors besides that? Also, what were some of your greatest moments in your HackForums legacy? What about worst? What do you miss most of all, if anything?
iBruteforce: HF just got a little boring for me over time. Day after day spent administrating gets very repetitive, it was the right time to step down.
My greatest moment? I'm really not sure, I never really did anything amazing. I know many people enjoyed my one-liners when I closed a stupid thread. The day I was offered an admin position was so awesome, I got 'that' PM from Omni which a couple others know of, and he invited me to add him on IM, very exclusive. Oh, and reviving the Graphic Masters was a great success.
As for the worst, probably being demoted from staff before I got admin privileges. Though I did convince Omni he made a mistake and I got put back right away.
What I miss most is the long period of just me, Kn1ght, and Soldier of Fortune being the active moderators, messing around and having a laugh. Shout out to Kn1ght too if he's still here.

RDCA: All way before my time, I am sure there are still some people who can relate. As for the Graphic Masters, what do you think of that group as of now. Since you are the founder, and you have watced the group go through prosperity, and strife, I would think you have the best understanding of the group. How do you feel about it's changes, and certinaly there were phases along with fiascos to accompony it. Another thing is, you aren't in the Mentor group like most ex-staff. Why is this?
iBruteforce: I've not been around enough recently to know how Graphic Masters are doing, but a quick look at the section tells me it is active and well managed. There were never any fiascos, not that I'm aware of.
Mentors.. I'm not even sure exactly what is is. I think it's a group with limited moderation powers. I'm not in it because I rarely visit HF now. Though if I were able to be as active as I was before, I'd probable administrate again if the position was offered to me.

RDCA: Seems you have been away for a bit then. One of the more notable things about you is your security. You're probably one of the greatest conscientious person I know. How do you feel about your whole identity and privacy on the internet? As most of us know Omniscient is very open about his, which is one of your role models in a way. Why such a sharp contrast?
iBruteforce: My privacy is very important to me. I've never used my real name, date of birth or anything else online. So if anyone is able to find my details, they won't be completely accurate. The 'real' name I am known by online is just a nick-name, and my DOB is a lie. I don't think anyone knows who I really am.

RDCA: Fake identities should be an integral part of anyone's security. As people will always have trouble discarding fake info from real. Though, why do you keep up this boundary between your real life, and your internet life? Also, this kind of goes with security in a way, why do you choose Linux over other operating systems. Also, what is your favorite distro within the Linux category.
iBruteforce: People I know online don't need to know things about my personal life. I'll give my nick-name, age and sometimes a picture to people I know and like, but nothing more. It works both ways though, nobody IRL knows my online names "iBruteforce" and "Solidus", or that I used to administrate this site.
Moving on to your other question. I choose Linux because it is free and open-source. There's a great community of really smart people, support is so easy to get. It's also unquestionably more secure than its rivals, consumes less memory and so on. The list is extensive.
I can't list just one favourite. Linux Mint for it's excellent developers and taking their own path with Cinnamon and other tools, and Arch for its bare-bones awesomeness. It's wonderful. I do follow and test many others too, and I want to start reviewing them on Youtube.

RDCA: Sounds like something that could be very successful, many people are curious about Linux and its opertunities. So besides your professional side, you must do some things for fun. What else do you like to do besides the business portion of the Internet?
iBruteforce: The Internet is 99% business for me, I'm online to make money and succeed. Rarely I will play some pool games or join group conversations. However I do intend to start playing Minecraft on PC soon, I am creating my gaming set-up to do so.

RDCA: Professional is always the attitude that fits almost every situation. So nothing wrong with that. Though what do you like to do in real life? Any hobbies or just something you really enjoy?
iBruteforce: I don't get a lot of free time to do the things I enjoy, but I do enjoy playing Snooker. It's a great sport which requires a lot of thought. I also like to read some magazines, New Scientist and Astronomy being my favourites. I love watching documentaries about the universe, time, and such too.
I'm not a hugely social person, drinking alcohol and going to parties just isn't what I do, ever. I'd much rather spend the time learning or working.

RDCA: Once again your professionality, diligence, and precision show. This might lead you to a good future. Where do you see yourself in 10 years time? Will you still be on the Internet, not necessarily forums, but perhaps a buisness, or do you see yourself high up in some corporate hierarchy?
iBruteforce: In ten years I'll still be doing what I do online now, except on a bigger scale and earning more money. It will be my full time job. I've never wanted to work for a company, I don't want a boss or a schedule.

RDCA: Sounds like a plan, a grand one at that. Live long and prosper. Though we are coming to an end of this interview, do you have any final questions, comments, or concerns?
iBruteforce: Just one comment. If any member wants to know something else not covered, leave your question here and I'll answer it.

RDCA: Alright, lets see those questions roll in. Though, I want to say thanks to you iBruteforce for doing this interview for the 100th edition of the HF News. I hope all of you enjoy reading this, and see you at the 200 mark.

Interview - Factor8™


SoulZeh: Welcome Factor8 it's a pleasure having you on the 100th edition of the news, Now before we start would you like to make a shoutout?
Factor8™: Hi.. I want to give a shout-out to a couple of cool people. Lol. Rusty_V, T3h Hack3r, Xch4ng3, Xerotic, Moralitas, Cobija.

SoulZeh: Well I'm sure they will love a shoutout from a really known member on HackForums. Now when you joined HF what did you intend to do?
Factor8™: I had nothing specific in my mind really when I joined HF in 2009. I was just looking for some online activity at that time and wanted to learn about PC security. HF was the first Forum I visited and joined.

SoulZeh: Oh nice, most of the people now a days join HF for the black hat activity, not many White Hats. So did you go through a process of Mentor, Staff then Admin or chosen directly?
Factor8™: Indeed. In 2010, we did not have the Mentor Group. Staff were selected by Omni and invited.


SoulZeh
: Oh, I didn't know, sounds good though. Well how did you feel when Omni asked you to join Staff?
Factor8™: Lol. I was ecstatic that time. Simply delighted and frenzied. I got Staff like within 8 months. Personally I had never expected Staff or ever thought on those lines also. So when the PM came, I like Tripped. Lol.

SoulZeh: Well back then was HackForums a big community like it is today? or was it a lot smaller? I mean if I had a pm from omni saying something like that I would probably think "Troll" lol, but 8months is a short period and then getting Staff. When you was staff did you find it hard?
Factor8™: HF was not that Big in 2010. I remember we picked up Traffic exponentially maybe after Nov 2010 onward. But when it comes to the number of reports which we get daily, the numbers have not changed much really. I did find it real hard during my first day as Staff. It was my mistake primarily because i was rushing into things and going too fast. Also I RF'd a member which caused a huge uproar that day. Lol. It was my mistake and I apologized to him. Then i logged off and had mentally prepared myself for a Boot. xD. I still remember that thread which was made about me that day.

SoulZeh: Oh, dude that was actually interesting to hear ♥. So how long was you Staff before Omni asked you about joining him and Judge Dredd on the Admin side?
Factor8™: Yep. http://www.hackforums.net/showthread.php?tid=555750 was that thread. I was Staff from July 10-Feb 12. Omni then asked me if i could handle Admin Duties one day so ...Lol

SoulZeh: Lol, that thread actually made me laugh. So when you got promoted to Admin did you find that a lot harder than Staff?
Factor8™:Well i said it was my fault primarily as i was rushing and going too fast. And when i logged off, i was mentally prepared for a Boot.

SoulZeh: Yeah most of the members on hackforums now a days seem to be quite demanding and everything... So being a Admin what do you dislike about hackforums the most?
Factor8™: I feel perplexed at the lack of common sense and the Flamers/LQ posters. But anyways I've got used to it. It's the Internet so all Fun. xD.

SoulZeh: Well Factor, it's been amazing interviewing you, was interesting finding out about a Admins point of view and things. Would you like to say anything to all the members of the community?
Factor8™: Thanks for the oppurtunity. I just wish that members should enjoy HF and act good with each other and follow the rules. Acting like an ass IRL/Online never helps or pays off. Just enjoy HF and help the community.

SoulZeh: I'm sure they will love that from another member, but before we go I've got a question from the all mighty SIR, I hate to ask but he asked me to ask you .... What is the size of your e-penis? :s
Factor8™: Lol. I don't have that. People with insecurities have that. And I'm not insecure.

SoulZeh: Haha, Okay man it was amazing interviewing you, Hope you have a good day/night.

[Image: jzjYNAjGjkaKN.png]
[Image: ibxLYuBdJr27vQ.jpg]



[Image: iT1o4VSpXElxV.png]
2012 Olympic's Security
This week, the contractor in charge of providing security for the Olympic Games announced that the security company, G4S, stands to lose up to $77 million dollars from their contract with LOCOG because the security company was not able to recruit enough people to guard the Olympic Games in London in a few weeks. The British military force was asked to provide 3,500 extra military personnel to protect the London Olympics and will send those additional troops to the Olympics.

Comic Con 2012
This week is Comic Con 2012, the biggest annual comic convention with over 125,000 people in attendance the last few years. The convention is being held July 11 though July 15 in San Diego California. Comic Con is always a hot spot for celebrities and at this year's Comic Con, there will be celebrities attending such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Matt Damon and Chris Doughty. Also, a new Tosh show was released at Comic Con 2012. AMC also released the preview of the 3rd season of "The Walking Dead". HBO also announced the cast for the next season of Game of Thrones and the date of the season premier, March 31, 2013.

Solar Storms
Earlier this week a large solar flare came from the center of the sun and caused solar storms on Earth on July 14, 2012 at around 9 A.M, Eastern Time. The large solar flare started on the sun last Thursday. This week's solar storm started from a very powerful sun flare that is registered as a X1.4 solar flare and is one of the largest that the Sun can have. During this solar storm, one might be able to see the northern lights as far south as New York City. The solar storm is expected not to cause any damage.

[Image: iDbJTnaJj81tB.png]
Apple
An exploit has been created by a Russian programmer known as Alaxey V.Borodin. He said that the more than 30,000 in-app purchases have been made using this service. This exploit re-routes in-app purchase requests. So, instead of going to Apple's secured server, they go to an external server which pretends to be Apple giving it the "Ok". This exploit requires setting up two special security certificated on the phone as well as making purchases when on WiFi with modifed DNS settings. Because of this exploit, Apple might face a loss of profits and hence they're investigating the exploit. "We take reports of fraudulent activity very seriously and we are investigating", Apple spokesperson Natalie Harrison told CNET in a prepared statement.

Twitter
Buddy Media (in partnership with microblogging service) has added an age verification process for Twitter. This is to aimed to reduce the liablity of booze marketers. How ever, parents won't feel any better because it asks to enter the birthdates. There is also a fact that one's tweets still remian public regardless of age, this age verirfication service only covers those who tro to follow a "grown up" brand.

Nvidea
Earlier this week, Nvidia announced it's developer forums were hacked and that some third parties have compromised the usernames, e-mail, hashed passwords with salt and "About Me" profile. The accounts count ends around 400,000. And as a result of this, Nvidia has suspended five of it's website due to investigation. It is being said that these accounts belonged to users of Nvidia Forum, Developer Zone, and Research Site. The company had suspended all of the them.

Microsoft
As interesting as what is going to be Microsoft Office's Office are the company's distribution plans for getting its coming productivity software and services in the hands of users. Reports say that ,On July 16, CEO of Microsoft, Steve Ballmer will take the public wraps off Microsoft's next version of its Office suite and services, known collectively as the Office 15 wave. Several testers had been having this product for several months. The little been concrete information of how and when the final versions of Office 2013 is been there.

[Image: jDn9PY2mhdpcD.png]
Prince Says Goodbye to Universal Publishing
After being with the Universal Music Publishing Group for seven years, Prince has left them. In 2005, Prince has signed a worldwide contract with the company, which covered his entire past written music and any future releases he made while signed with the group. Not many details have been released about where Prince will go for another publishing deal.

Chris Brown's Fortune Debuts at No. 1
Chris Brown's life is looking up now. Chris Brown's newly released follow-up to F.A.M.E has debuted at number one of the Billboard Top 200. 134,000 copies were sold in its first week. Fortune will be Chris Brown's second album to debut at the top of the charts.

Music Video of The Week:





Member Submitted Videos:













[Image: jb1OCEQNzdgk85.png]
This is basically my own little corner to type up my thoughts and some standpoints on different topics.
---
I've been with the Hack Forums News Team since the 41st edition. I ended up assuming the position of publisher on the 62nd edition. It's been great to come so far. I hope you all enjoy it!

[Image: jmckPOOSEAqaM.png]
Interview - Yin

Sir: Hello and welcome to the 100th edition of the HF News, Yin. Are there any shout outs you would like to give, or possible some words of wisdom?
Yin: No shout outs. Words of wisdom.. I get the question a lot of how did I become a staff. I'll address that here.

Basically, be yourself. Be active in the forums, and don't be immature about it. I came into the forums and there was many trolls and what not, but I stuck to being high quality. I joined the HJT Team, which is a great team and they are very very helpful and I learned a ton. HJT literally taught me something that I'll hold for the rest of my life, it was valuable quality stuff.

Next, report posts. I heavily reported posts, but don't just report any post. Look around for the ones that break the rules, and then do your part and report it. Don't just report any and every thread you see or you'll look like an idiot and perhaps even get negative repped from a staff if they see it and it's blatant.

Sir: How did you acquire the username "Yin?"
Yin: I got the name Yin when 3 character names were allowed, obviously. Basically I like the whole concept of Yin and Yang, so I stuck with it.

Sir: What brought you to Hack Forums? In other words, where did you find out about it?
Yin: Coming back to HackForums was just because it was a memory to me. I had some great times on the forums before, so I figured that I'd just try to make a possible return.

Sir: How has Hack Forums changed over the time you were gone?
Yin: It's changed a ton, there is many more rules and the staff has changed so many times. Groups are now paid, The Lounge ups post count, and more. I'd say that the only thing that didn't really change was the structure of the forum. By that I mean there's still a Lounge, and there's still every sub section. Of course more subforums have been added.

Sir: In your spare time, what captures your interest? What is it that you do?
Yin: I like to play Xbox 360, and just relax and have a good time with the family. I have many many games for the 360, so if you would like to play sometime, drop me a PM.

Sir: Now that we've covered the less original facts about you, let's move on to the less known facts about you. How did you come up with the idea of the Hack Forums News?
Yin: I came up with the idea out of boredom, really. I posted in The Lounge, and it became a popular thing quick. I didn't request a subforum for the HF News, but Omni decided to make one. Now there's a whole group and what not dedicated to it, so that's pretty cool.

Sir: How has the Hack Forums News been doing over your absence?
Yin: I think it's great. I'm glad it gets updated every week. The best part about the news is that you can look at the archives from past threads, all in one easy spot. You go to the last page, and you can see the very first HF News post. This is the 100th Edition, that's 100 WEEKS put into this project. Good stuff.

Sir: What did you think would have come of the News after you left?
Yin: I figured it'd still be updated, just probably not that well. I was wrong, the news is very complex every week and it's great to see that it is continuing the test of time and people actively read it.

Sir: Nowadays, where do you spend your time while on Hack Forums?
Yin: Everywhere. I click 'View New Posts' and whatever thread sparks my attention I click on it and read. But the place I post the most is most likely The Lounge.

Sir: Before we wrap this up, do you have an closing statements you wish to give? A little quip about your experience overall, or something special about Hack Forums?
Yin: It's been an interesting ride. I'm excited to be apart of this 100th Edition, and it's great for me to say that I created this. In a large forum such as this one, a news is pretty important and it lets you see when things happened. Another great part is that if you are interested in reading about something that happened May 20th, 2011.. you can click the thread that was discussed about it. And to those people who think that this is something easy to do, it really isn't. The HF News is extremely hard and requires dedication. Keep up the good work, fellas. Additionally, if anyone ever has any questions or would just like to talk, you can always PM me.

Sir: And, last, but not least: is it good to be back?
Yin: It's definitely good to be back, thank you for allowing me to be apart of this edition and keep up the good work, Writers.

[Image: jLoOxj2vJXxrN.png]

"Where do you see Hack Forums in five years? Expand?"

"I hope to see HackForums five years later in a bigger community, with friendly
users and high quality threads. I think HackForums will grow up with 2000 members
online in about five years. Also I am pretty sure there will be much more sections,
and it will be more hacking related. New members come to learn and make fun,
others will help them out. I will still be active in 5 years. It is a great question to
think about, and I really like the idea that HackForums still is here in five years.
Let's wait... :)
"

-Verspil

"In the next 5 years, I see HF being a huge website. I know it is now,
but I am talking massive. With the amount of members registered, & the amount
registering everyday, the number is only going to increase, & more people will join &
learn more. This is a cycle effect. This means that there will be more knowledgeable
people in the community. In 5 years, HF will accomplish many things, & will become
famous.
"

-Text

"People come and go just like the seasons in a year do. One generation takes over
the next - it is inevitable and it is bound to happen to Hackforums as well. However,
I don't predict a great change for the community. Sure, technology will have advanced
another step, but the essence and spirit of the forum will remain the same. Hackforums
is a place where people can express and contest their opinion and beliefs. This is a
power so great it simply can't die.
"

-tres

"I See hackforums being 5-10X bigger than what it currently is in 5 years
time for a couple of reasons, The first being that technology is progressing more and
more each day, with that more and more people will try and see what they can do as far
as hacking is concerned. The only other reason I believe hackforums will greatly expand in
the future is because of the fact that more and more people are looking into hacking/booter's/etc
each day and hackforums is a great place to discuss all of that kind of stuff.
"

-Winner

"Well... I've been contemplating on this question since the whole FBI incident. HF really
isn't an illegal forum, nor does it participate in blackhat activity, so I don't think we will be
taken down if we continue as we do. I hope that the size of HF will stay the same (userbase
wise), so that we are not overcrowded. I also hope to see a bunch of new sections, groups,
and topics, over the next few years.
"

-Phytrix

"I think that in five years HackForums will have a lot more members than it does
currently. I can see it having a lot more LQ members and very few HQ members. I think that
there will also be more subforums opening up as well.
"

-Hello Friends

""In five years, I think HF will have nearly tripled it's members with completely different content
since the technology in that time will vary by a long range. Xbox 360 and PS3 will be in the dust
and new consoles will be released. Internet itself could change completely, and Hackforums' members
will capitalize on that change and continue making threads and posting their knowledge.
"

-Kristian

"I think Hackforums will have over 1 million active members. The way Hackforums is
progressing it has a chance to be something amazing. I believe there will always be over 30,000
members on at one time, and there will be 100+ user groups specializing in all of the sections.
"

-Mаlfunction

The topic for next week is "Where do you see yourself in five years? Expand?"

To send in your entries for the next edition, PM Sir.



[Image: j87VX1kmg7Fzc.png]
[Image: jf15KZQ0J4FN1.png]



[Image: jnvBrYXVnoIhC.png]

[Image: jqEDvbzsRnPs5.jpg]

[Image: jVuObTFgbCMmT.jpg]



[Image: ib0qPNsTKIJyRN.png]
Please Give Feedback on the Sound Quality, GFX, and Length.



Written topics
Awards
Kray got the Businessman award.
Cody‍ purchased the Brony award to fulfill his MLP fetish.
ruslimedan purchased the Brony award.
Daisy got the Brony award. She is the only one who should have this award.

Group Leadership Changes

No comments: